The Grey Nuns’ convent, Winnipeg’s oldest building, houses Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum. Built for the Grey Nuns who arrived in the Red River Colony in 1844, the structure is an outstanding example of Red River frame construction. The Museum presents an impressive collection of artifacts that reveal the lives and culture of the Francophone and Métis communities of Manitoba, including a special exhibit about Louis Riel, the “father” of Manitoba.
- Reception services and guided tours for groups
- Directly opposite the Forks, within walking distance of Saint-Boniface Cathedral
- Bilingual staff
- Gift shop
- Wheelchair accessible
How to find us
494 Taché Avenue,
between Avenue de la Cathédrale and Despins Street
in Saint-Boniface, part of Winnipeg’s Riel District.
We are a nice 20-minute walk from The Forks Market by either going over the Esplanade Riel pedestrian bridge which leads to the corner of Provencher Boulevard and Taché Avenue, or over the Norwood Bridge that connects Main Street in Winnipeg and Marion and Goulet Streets in Saint-Boniface.
Winnipeg Transit routes 10 and 56. Consult the Winnipeg Transit web site for fares and schedules.
Parking along the street is free, with a two-hour limit on Avenue de la Cathédrale and Despins Street.
You may find more specific directions on our detailed map.