History

The Grey Nuns on the convent steps

The Grey Nuns on the convent steps, about 1878. (ASGM Collection)

1847 – 1956 Under the auspices of the Grey Nuns, the convent served as Western Canada’s first hospital, orphanage and seniors’ home. It was also a school, initially for both girls and boys; Louis Riel was a student here. Eventually, the Sisters operated a boarding school for girls.

1938 La Société historique de Saint-Boniface (SHSB, est. 1902) opened a museum in the basement of St. Boniface Cathedral. The SHSB was eventually provided with space in St. Boniface City Hall for this purpose.

1950 Student nurses at St. Boniface General Hospital School of Nursing had to move to the convent during the 1950 flood.

1956 The Grey Nuns vacated the building at 494 Taché; it had been their home since December 1847.

The last picnic in front of the convent

Elderly residents enjoy the last picnic in front of the convent, then called The Youville hospice, 1923. (ASGM Collection)

1957 – 1958 Amid rumours that the former convent was to be demolished, the SHSB spearheaded efforts to designate the building as a historic building for use as a museum.

November 1958 The Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada designated the building as a historic site, and recommended that it be preserved for possible use as a museum.

November 1959 The City of St. Boniface, taking over the lead on the project, created the Saint-Boniface Museum Board, made up of both aldermen and citizen members.

March 5, 1963 The City of St. Boniface and the federal government signed an agreement cost-sharing the expense of building restoration. As a condition, the City had to conclude a 99-year lease with the Grey Nuns and a museum management agreement with the SHSB. Other contributors to the project were the Province of Manitoba and the then Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg.

Interior walls uncovered, 1960s

Interior walls are uncovered during the restorations undertaken in the 1960s. (Photo: J. Vermander)

June 20, 1963 The City of St. Boniface signed a 99-year lease agreement with the Grey Nuns. The City was to be “fully responsible for the maintenance of the buildings. . . .”

Summer 1967 Following several years of retrofitting, the Museum opened its doors for several weeks. Regular operations began the following summer, and eventually the Museum would be open year-round.

May 25, 1970 Given that the initial funds were insufficient to meet the costs of the restoration and that the City of St. Boniface was unable to conclude a management agreement with the SHSB, a new agreement was signed with the federal government in Ottawa, replacing the 1963 agreement. Again, the Metropolitan Corporation and the Province were contributors, and the City agreed to “maintain the convent at its own expense.for a period of 30 years. . . “

Exterior chapel restoration

Restoration work done on the exterior walls of the chapel, during the 1960s. (Photo: J. Vermander)

July 1971 The City of Winnipeg Act was passed, amalgamating the numerous municipalities in the area. The new City of Winnipeg assumed “all the responsibilities of the former city of St. Boniface in connection with the St. Boniface Museum.”

June 1988 The Historic Sites and Monuments Board reaffirmed that the convent was of “exceptional” national significance on both historical and architectural grounds. It asked the federal minister responsible for the Board to enter into discussions with the City of Winnipeg and others, in order “to restore the historic fabric of the convent.”

1967 Openeing Ceremony

Henri Létourneau, first curator of the Saint-Boniface Museum, with his wife, Rose Létourneau, and Mrs. Irène Lane of the Société historique de Saint-Boniface, at the Museum's official opening ceremony in 1967. (Photo: J. Vermander)

May 1990 Winnipeg City Council adopted a business plan prepared by the Museum, outlining the major structural and restorative work on the building that was needed. Of the total cost of $1,264,000, the City was to contribute $410,000 and the Federal government $580,000; the Museum was to secure $157,000 from the
St. Boniface Museum Province and $117,000 from other sources, including its own reserve funds.

February 19, 1991 The City of Winnipeg and the federal government entered into a cost-sharing agreement, which permitted the restoration and structural stabilization of the building.

October 1993 – May 1995 The Museum was closed to allow for the major renovations. When it reopened, it introduced general admission charges for the first time.

May 1995 The Museum received a Heritage Canada Foundation award in recognition of the vigilance exercised throughout the restoration process; as a result, the historic integrity and fabric of the building had been maintained.

February 19, 1996 The Museum and the City received awards from Heritage Winnipeg for the work done on the building.

Present The Museum is recognized by the Province as a Manitoba STAR Attraction and enjoys a national reputation for its collection and for the building itself. Staff members are also recognized for their professional expertise and experience. Their reputation results in frequent requests for them to participate in peer review panels and other consultative forums.

The Grey Nuns on the convent steps

Les Soeurs Grises devant leur couvent, vers 1878. (Coll. ASGM)

1847 – 1956 Dirigé par les Soeurs Grises, le couvent est le premier hôpital de l’Ouest du Canada et sert d’orphelinat et de foyer d’aînés. En premier lieu, les garçons et les filles étudient ensemble; Louis Riel y fait une partie de ses études. Plus tard, les Soeurs ouvrent un internat de filles.

1938 La Société historique de Saint-Boniface (SHSB), instituée en 1902, fonde un musée au sous-sol de la cathédrale de Saint-Boniface. Plus tard la Société historique dispose son musée dans un local dans l’hôtel de ville.

1950 Les étudiantes de l’école des infirmières de l’Hôpital général Saint-Boniface sont obligées d’aller se loger au couvent pendant la grande inondation de cette année.

1956 Les Soeurs Grises quittent leur résidence au 494, avenue Taché, lieu qu’elles occupent depuis le mois de décembre, 1847.

The last picnic in front of the convent

Dernier pique-nique pour les vieillards devant le couvent, alors connu comme « l'hospice Youville », 1923. (Coll. ASGM)

1957 – 1958 Le bruit court que l’on va démolir l’ancien couvent. La SHSB mène les efforts pour faire désigner le bâtiment comme monument historique qui servirait de musée.

Novembre 1958 La Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada donne la désignation voulue et recommande la préservation du bâtiment pour usage éventuel comme musée.

Novembre 1959 La Ville de Saint-Boniface, prenant la charge, crée la Commission du Musée de Saint-Boniface, comptant des conseillers et des membres-citoyens.

Le 5 mars 1963 La Ville de Saint-Boniface et le gouvernement fédéral signent un accord relatif au partage des coûts de la restauration du bâtiment. Une condition s’impose : la Ville doit signer un bail de 99 ans avec les Soeurs Grises et un accord avec la SHSB relatif à la gérance du Musée. La Province du Manitoba et la Corporation métropolitaine (qui dirige à cette époque le grand Winnipeg) contribuent aussi au projet.

Interior walls uncovered, 1960s

Travaux de restauration effectués au cours des années 1960 : on découvre les murs intérieurs. (Photo : J. Vermander)

Le 20 juin 1963 La Ville de Saint-Boniface signe le bail de 99 ans avec les Soeurs Grises et accepte la responsabilité du maintien des bâtiments.

Été 1967 Après plusieurs années de travaux et de modifications, le Musée de Saint-Boniface ouvre ses portes pour quelques semaines. Les activités normales commencent l’été suivant; le Musée sera ultimement ouvert à longueur d’année.

Le 25 mai 1970 On signe un nouvel accord avec le gouvernement fédéral à Ottawa, car les fonds alloués ne suffisent pas aux rénovations et la Ville de Saint-Boniface n’arrive pas à conclure un accord sur la gérance du Musée avec la SHSB. Cet accord remplace celui de l’an 1963. La Province du Manitoba et la Corporation métropolitaine contribuent encore des fonds au projet et Saint-Boniface promet de maintenir le couvent à ses frais pour une période de 30 ans.

Exterior chapel restoration

Travaux de restauration effectués sur l'extérieur de la chapelle, au cours des années 1960. (Photo: R. Barrow, 2000)

Juillet 1971 La Loi sur la Ville de Winnipeg entre en vigueur, fusionnant les nombreuses municipalités de la région. La nouvelle Ville de Winnipeg accepte toutes les responsabilités de l’ancienne Ville de Saint-Boniface relativement au Musée de Saint-Boniface.

Juin 1988 La Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada confirme l’importance nationale « exceptionnelle » du couvent sur les plans historique et architectural. Elle propose que le ministre fédéral responsable entame des discussions avec la Ville de Winnipeg et d’autres parties intéressées afin de restaurer la construction historique du couvent.

1967 Openeing Ceremony

Henri Létourneau, le premier conservateur du Musée, avec son épouse Rose Létourneau, et Madame Irène Lane de la Société historique de Saint-Boniface, lors des cérémonies d'ouverture du Musée en 1967. (Photo : J. Vermander)

Mai 1990 Le conseil municipal de Winnipeg adopte un plan d’affaires préparé par le Musée. Le plan indique que des travaux majeurs sont requis relativement à la structure et à la restauration du bâtiment. Le coût total se chiffrerait à 1 264 000 $; la Ville contribuerait 410 000 $ et le gouvernement fédéral 580 000 $. Il incombe au Musée d’assurer 157 000 $ de fonds de la Province et 117 000 $ d’autres sources, y compris ses propres fonds de réserve.

Le 19 février 1991 La Ville de Winnipeg et le gouvernement fédéral signent un accord de partage des coûts permettant ainsi la restauration et la stabilisation structurale du bâtiment.

Octobre 1992 – mai 1995 Le Musée ferme afin que les travaux puissent se faire. Quand il ouvre ses portes à nouveau, il va pour la première fois exiger des droits d’entrée.

Mai 1995 Le Musée reçoit un prix de la Fondation Héritage Canada en reconnaissance de la surveillance vigilante exercée sur le déroulement du projet. L’intégrité historique et structurale du bâtiment a été respectée.

Le 19 février 1996 Heritage Winnipeg décerne un prix au Musée et à la Ville de Winnipeg en reconnaissance de la qualité du travail accompli.

À présent Le Musée de Saint-Boniface est un des principaux « Points d’attraction » du Manitoba et jouit d’une excellente réputation à travers le Canada pour ses collections et pour le bâtiment lui-même. Son personnel est reconnu pour son expertise et son expérience. Les membres de l’équipe reçoivent de fréquentes invitations, les priant de participer à des comités de pairs et à d’autres colloques consultatifs.